February 24, 2022 by Kenneth Fisher
I’m working on a new presentation titled
Watch Ken solve security headaches in SQL Server.
In this presentation I’m going to pick a handful of common security problems and solve them in demos. How many? Well, enough to fit the time frame. I’ll prepare at least 10, probably quite a few more and keep going until I run out of time.
This is a list of examples of SQL Server security related questions that I get fairly frequently and that I’ll probably be using.
- Does account XYZ have execute access for stored procedure sp_blah?
- What AD groups have read access in database DBName?
- Please copy the permissions for account svcAccountA to svcAccountB.
- Please copy all of the logins that are associated with DBName from ServerA to ServerB.
- Please script the permissions for database DBName.
- Can I have sysadmin access?
- Jacky has the access I need in database DBName. What AD group should I be added to to get the same access that she has?
Here’s where I could use your help. What are some of the problems you have? Rather than just come up with things that I have to answer all the time, I’d like to know what types of security questions give you headaches?